2018 Annual Report
Board of Trustees
Jericho-Underhill Water District
P.O. Box 174
Underhill, Vermont 05489
October 1, 2017 to September 30, 2018
The Board of Trustees would like to thank Jane Maheux, Treasurer and Clerk of the JUWD, for her dedicate service to the Board since 2002. She will not be seeking reelection for the 2019 fiscal year. We thank her for the time spent answering calls, recording minutes of meetings, maintaining files and accounts payable and receivable, along with preparing and collecting payments for quarterly water bills. She has been a true asset to our functioning JUWD. Thank you, Jane.
Long time moderator, Bill Frank served as Moderator for the 2017 Annual Meeting. The Board consisted of Joseph P. O’Brien, President, Jason P. Ritter, Trustee and Stephen Jennings, Trustee. Jane Maheux served as Clerk and Treasurer and the assistant Clerk was Jason Ritter. Meter Reader and Collector was Dwight DeCoster, and the Auditors were Vicki Milton, Harland Blodgett, and Bill VanDeVenter. Marc Maheux performed the duties of Chief Operator and was assisted by Assistant Operator Michael R. Willard. Helen Miller was our local water tester. The Board wishes to thank everyone for their work this past year.
The Jericho-Underhill Water District provided drinking water and fire hydrant access to 324 residential and business connections representing about 900 people within the District. During the past year drinking water supplied to the District averaged about 42,000 gallons per day. Water delivered to District customers this year was of high quality and adequate quantity and met all state and federal requirements.
Listed below are some highlights of the past year:
- Our staff continued identifying all roadside curb stops so that we could have all locations mark by GPS technology as part of the Drinking Water Asset Management Grant that we received. Mapping of all assets will be completed throughout the year and all data will be digitalized.
- Both storage tanks were inspected exteriorly and interiorly with very good results. Very little silt and a small amount of pitting inside was observed.
- Flushing of the entire system took place twice, once in November and again in May.
- The JUWD changed accountants as Richard Wheatly retired and we hired Lavallee and Co. to take over for Rick. We thank Rick for his work of the past number of years.
- A solar electric supply and remote monitoring system was install at the Maple Ridge cistern and paid for from our capital improvement fund.
- The Board approved the installation of Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) for the well pumps. These were install by Champlin Associates and paid for from the capital improvement fund.
- Weekly testing along with yearly testing for lead and copper were completed. Results for all testing were very good with all levels well below state and federal requirements.
- We were fortunate over the winter to have just one minor leak on a service line on Palmer Lane that was repaired thanks to the work of Wayne Russin Construction.
- The Board appreciates the work of Robert Hill for winter plowing and Andy Foresburg for mowing and trimming work at our properties.
- The Board began working with G.W. Tatro who purchased the mill site and has plans for development. The first business site will be a Union Bank and the Board is working with Hamlin Engineering on the water infrastructure for future development.
- Our Consumer Confidence Report was distributed to all customers either electronically or hand delivered and our Source Protect Plan was updated and approved.
- The District plans to repair some of our older hydrants that do not function at 100%. Work to be completed will be to make for easier operation.
- The Board adopted a budget for the 2019 FY with a 5% increase in rates. Our Fiscal Year runs from November 2018 through September 2019 with rates changing at the first billing quarter of the FY.
Joseph P. O'Brien, President
Jason Ritter, Trustee
Stephen Jennings, Trustee