2016 Annual Report
Board of Trustees
Jericho-Underhill Water District
P.O. Box 174
Underhill, Vermont 05489
October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016
The Jericho-Underhill Water District provides drinking water and fire hydrant access to 324 residential and business connections representing about 900 people within the District. During the past year drinking water supplied to the District averaged about 43,000 gallons per day. Water delivered to District customers this year was of high quality and adequate quantity and met all state and federal requirements.
William R. Frank served as Moderator for the 2015 Annual Meeting. The Board consisted of Joseph P. O’Brien, President, Jason P. Ritter, Trustee and Stephen Jennings, Trustee. The Clerk and Treasurer was Jane Maheux, assistant Clerk was Jason Ritter. , Collector was Dwight DeCoster, and the Auditors were Vicki Milton, Harland Blodgett, and Bill Van Deventer. Marc Maheux was Chief Operator, Assistant Operator was Michael R. Willard, Tester was Helen Miller and Meter Reader was Dwight Decoster.
The Board wishes to thank everyone for their work this past year.
Listed below are some highlights of the past year:
- Planning for improvements to Maple Ridge residents with low pressure and supply off of a cistern was completed. The Board engaged the engineering firm of Aldrich + Elliott of Essex Junction to do preliminary planning for several infrastructure projects. The projects identified by the Board include improving water pressure for Maple Ridge customers; this will involve the Maple Ridge cistern, water tank site, and distribution lines on Maple Ridge.
- The Board received a 5-year interest free, planning loan, possibly forgivable, to fund the initial stage of this project. The loan was from the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund through the Vermont Municipal Bond Bank.
- The Board approved allocation of water to 364 VT Route 15 that would require an eight- inch main installation under Route 15 that would supply water to the future Jericho Market and former mill office.
- Marc Maheux, Chief Operator continued to make improvements to our web site with extensive changes and addition information included in the site.
- The Board held discussions about the Maple Ridge project and submitted the project proposal to the VT Drinking Water State Revolving Fund for funding of an estimated $350,000 improvement cost.
- Fortunately the winter months were kind to us and we had no frozen pipes in our delivery system.
- The Board met with representatives of the proposed Jericho Market to review site plans.
- Our Consumer Confidence Report notice was delivered to customers with their quarterly bills and hand delivered notices to rental units. The website was used to distribute of the Consumer Confidence Report saving the District printing and mailing costs.
- The website now contains a large archive of District information including: the District Regulations, Annual Meeting Minutes from 1976, Annual Reports from 1980 (except 1981, 1982, and 1986), Water Usage from 2000, Bacteria Test Results from 2006, results of other required tests from 2006, and much more.
- The Board applied for and received an asset management grant and is working with O’Leary-Burke Engineers in mapping all our shutoffs using GPS.
- The allocated spending for legal advice regarding JUWD Regulations and received recommendations for changes in the regulations that will be reviewed at the Annual Meeting. These changes strengthen the wording in a number of areas for clarity and direction.
- The Board created a budget for the coming year based actual spending needs and increasing our capital fund contribution to cover future improvements and replacements. We are asking for approval of a 7.5% increase at the Annual meeting. This increase in rates will allow us to continue our regular operations and add to our capital fund.
Joseph P. O'Brien, President
Jason Ritter, Trustee
Stephen Jennings, Trustee